Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Seniors and juniors

Yesterday I took three more pictures of the rocky settlement before meeting with kids and Sorab (the other teacher).

We finally separated the group into two: seniors and juniors. I would be teaching seniors and Sorab will be teaching juniors (5 to 10 years old). We will unite two groups at the beginning of each day and at the end of each day. Half of the day the groups will study separately.

I started teaching seniors English and chess. English is necessary. Chess hmmmmm not really but I want to try.
For a good part of my teaching I tried to teach them that the end of the verbs will differ for "I", "he" or "she". It was tough. Finally it looked like they were slowly getting it. Then we started chess class. It was almost impossible. Every time I teach chess I realize I am failing. We replayed the pawn game with introduction of the king. Now the "purpose" of the game is to make a queen with 8 pawns and help of the king. My class grew to be 10 kids (or 5 boards). They were yelling, doing crazy moves with pawns and basically uncontrollable.

I don't know what to do at this point but take a deep breath and be patient. I know I can get it to them. Just need a lot and a lot of time.

When we united two groups we played a shake-shake game where each student shakes the bottle to imitate teachers movement. The student who does not imitate the exact way the bottle is held is eliminated. It sounds boring but it was a lot of fun actually.

One thing worries me that new children from the rocky hill settlement did not get the game. It's possible that they used to beg on the streets before. Every time I distributed the candy to shake-shake game winners they would line up and beg me to give some to them as well. I don't think they understand they need to deserve the prize somehow. Perhaps today they will watch others and understand.

We finished with usual prayer. As you can see we are getting many senior level kids (they sit at the back).

No comments:

Post a Comment