Thursday, June 23, 2011

Teaching in the rain

Today I didn't expect that many kids to show up because of the heavy rain. I was surprised to see many kids already there before noon.

We continued the same thing we did the whole week. Worked in groups. Funny enough I noticed that group leaders are now taking their pride in being in charge. When I was trying to help one of the groups the appointed leader said something like "mam, I am a group leader here" meaning I manage things around here. It was cute.

Today I discovered that there are few married kids in the class. I also discovered that the eldest "kid" is 20 years old! That was new. So, ranging from age 3 to 20, married and unmarried, with basic education and no education at all - this group is not easy to homogenize.

Seriously.

Looking at the picture above I wonder if the little boy is actually married or it's just a ring?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, could it really be? Is it a common practice to have marriage there at such a young age?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt. Yes. Child marriages are widely practiced in the state of Rajasthan.

    ReplyDelete