Thursday, June 16, 2011

Visiting Badgaon center for the first time

Today I visited Badgaon center for the first time. All children are very friendly. It's certain that they are used to volunteers from different countries. They smile and say Namaste. They are naturally very curious about newcomers. Even though me and Sam sat few steps away from the classroom the kids could not help but occasionally look with eyes full of curiosity about me. I think they wanted to hear my voice.


Looking at them it was hard to imagine that some of them have to perform almost the same tasks as adults: work in the fields, do household stuff. These kids are serious. They have eyes of adults almost.


The teacher was one of DAAN guys. He seemed to be loving and caring about children. The kids repeated English words out loud. They also repeated songs. They seemed to be excited about singing. Perhaps they were sitting too long trying to concentrate. Singing definitely recharged them. Occasionally they would take restroom and water breaks but only when then teacher announced it. I was amazed on how particular they were about taking their shoes off when stepping on the sitting rag. Older helped younger ones. I think they are wondering what I am all about. I should probably spend time today preparing for my first lesson. It should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment